Hormuz at a Standstill: What the Ceasefire's Collapse Means for Oil and Markets
The 60-day MoU expired with no extension. Three ships transited Hormuz on Sunday. The question now is whether Iran's threat to go on offense is rhetoric or a leading indicator.
The 60-day memorandum of understanding between the United States and Iran expired on August 17 with no successor agreement, no extension, and no single major commercial transit through the Strait of Hormuz to replace the void. The waterway that carried roughly a fifth of the world’s seaborne oil before the war began on February 28 saw just three vessels transit on Sunday, according to Kpler data — down from a pre-war daily average of about 130[1]. Brent crude settled 2.7% higher at $90.87 per barrel, with WTI closing up 2.6% at $84.50[2].
This is not a sudden crisis. It is the expiration of a pause that never took hold, and the quiet indicators — shipping data, tanker behavior, and diplomatic positioning — all point to an escalation pattern that has been building for weeks.
The MoU That Wasn’t
The memorandum signed in Islamabad on June 17 was supposed to reopen Hormuz while Washington and Tehran negotiated a final nuclear deal within 60 days. Vessel crossings peaked at 275 in the week of June 24, days after the deal was signed. Then the agreement frayed: each side accused the other of violating its terms, military operations resumed, and by mid-July Trump declared the ceasefire over[3].
By the first week of August, crossings had fallen 64% to 98. By mid-August, they had collapsed into single digits[3].
Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman, Esmail Baghaei, ruled out any extension talks. “We did not start any negotiations at all, and the U.S. violated the understanding from the very beginning; therefore, the 60-day issue is not relevant,” he said, according to the state news agency Tasnim[2]. On the US side, Trump told reporters in the Oval Office he would not seek an extension. “They want to make a deal, but they’re not going to make the kind of a deal that I feel is necessary,” he said[1].
The Hormuz Chokehold in Numbers
The data tells a story the rhetoric does not. Iran’s own oil exports through Hormuz fell by as much as 94% to 91,900 barrels per day in the week of August 3, according to Kpler[3]. But other Gulf producers — Saudi Arabia, Iraq, the UAE, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, and Bahrain — have fared better, with combined crude exports through Hormuz at 2.948 million bpd that same week, down only about 6% from pre-MoU levels[3]. Much of that reflects crude moving on smaller shuttle tankers to transfer points outside the strait.
The backlog is the indicator worth watching. Approximately 520 commercial vessels are now stuck in the Arabian Gulf, according to Kpler estimates. Even if the waterway were cleared of mines and security conditions improved immediately, it would take six to eight weeks to clear the backlog[3]. That means any diplomatic breakthrough tomorrow would not translate into normalized oil flows until October at the earliest.
More than half of all crossings tracked since the war began were “dark” — with no reliable AIS tracking signal — and a further 29% used Iranian-controlled routes[3]. Supertankers are going dark for longer, turning off transponders to avoid detection, doubling down on tactics honed in the earlier days of the Iran war[4].
The Oil Price Response
Brent’s settlement above $90 is notable less for its magnitude than for what it implies about the floor. ING analysts Ewa Manthey and Warren Patterson note that ICE Brent is trading just below $90/bbl, supported by Middle East tensions and increasingly bullish speculative positioning[5]. The S&P 500 energy sector surged 7.31% in a single session earlier in August when Hormuz traffic first collapsed to five vessels[6].
Bob McNally, president of Rapidan Energy, told CNBC that Brent will likely rise back toward $100 per barrel as China increases its imports. China has slashed its crude imports by 4 million barrels per day to 5 million bpd — a “crash diet” that has played a key role in keeping prices from surging higher during the war. But Beijing will likely allow its refiners to import more to benefit from high refined product prices. “China coming off of its crash diet is not consistent with Brent prices being stable,” McNally said[2].
That is the quiet indicator beneath the headlines: the world’s largest crude importer has been suppressing demand, and any relaxation of that suppression arrives at a moment when the world’s most critical oil chokepoint is nearly closed.
Saudi Arabia’s Detour
Saudi Arabia has been rerouting crude through its East-West pipeline to Red Sea terminals at Yanbu, then via Egypt’s SUMED pipeline to the Mediterranean port of Sidi Kerir, where exports have more than doubled in August to roughly 2.3 million bpd[7]. But this workaround adds approximately $5 per barrel and up to four weeks to a voyage, with tankers forced to take the long route around Africa to reach Asian customers[7].
Even the Red Sea route is under pressure. Houthi militants have been attacking tankers in the Red Sea, and crude exports from Yanbu have gone dark, with tankers switching off AIS transponders when loading[7]. Both major Middle Eastern oil routes — Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb — are now compromised simultaneously.
The Escalation Signal
The most consequential data point on August 17 was not a ship count or a price print. A senior Iranian official told Reuters that Tehran would “shift to offense rather than relying on defense if diplomacy with the U.S. fails”[2]. Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi insisted the strait will remain “Iranian” and only be closed and opened “under Iran’s command”[1].
Meanwhile, Trump threatened to “bomb the s— out of” Oman — a US strategic ally that shares the strait with Iran — if it “gets in the way” of negotiations[1]. The US has said it can maintain its naval blockade of Iran “indefinitely” and vowed more economic pressure[8]. The UAE has reported that Iran attacked two vessels near the strait[8].
A new arrangement between Iran and Oman to establish shipping routes through the strait is under discussion, but it risks repeating the failure of the June deal. Tehran still insists on control over passage and has sought transit fees — demands rejected by Washington and Gulf states[3].
What to Watch Next
Several indicators will signal whether this is a plateau or a prelude to a sharper break:
-
Chinese crude import volumes. If China’s imports begin rising from the suppressed 5 million bpd level, that removes the primary damper on prices. Monitor weekly customs and satellite-based storage data.
-
Iranian offensive posture. The shift from “defense” to “offense” language from Iranian officials is a leading indicator. Watch for reported naval activity, mine-laying, or coordinated proxy action in the Strait of Hormuz or Bab el-Mandeb.
-
Backlog clearance timeline. Even a diplomatic breakthrough faces a 6–8 week physical backlog. The longer the strait stays near-closed, the more the 520-vessel queue compounds. Watch Kpler transit data for any sustained rebound above single digits.
-
Saudi rerouting capacity. The SUMED pipeline and Yanbu terminal have absorbed significant volume, but Houthi threats to the Red Sea route could close the detour. If both chokepoints are simultaneously blocked, there is no workaround.
-
US congressional tariff authority. Trump is about to receive what Fortune describes as “unchecked authority” to impose tariffs of up to 100% on top trading partners[9]. A tariff escalation layered on top of an oil supply crisis would compound inflationary pressure and reshape the rate-path expectations that have been supporting equity valuations.
The base case is a protracted standoff: neither side has an incentive to capitulate, and the current traffic level — a trickle — is tolerable for both so long as Gulf producers’ exports remain somewhat flowing. The tail risk is that Iran’s threatened shift to offense is not rhetoric. If it materializes, the six-to-eight-week backlog becomes the best-case scenario, not the worst.
Sources
- Trump threatens Oman, Hormuz Strait traffic slows, Iran ceasefire ends
- Oil rises as Iran rules out MoU extension, threatens to escalate
- Hormuz traffic falls to single digits as 60-day deadline for US-Iran MoU expires | The Na…
- Covert Mideast Oil Shipments Help Stabilize Global Crude Prices During Iran War - Bloombe…
- Oil rises as Iran rules out MoU extension, threatens to escalate
- U.S. stocks fall after Iran says Strait of Hormuz will remain shut | Fortune
- Saudi ramps oil via Mediterranean to avoid Houthi attacks ...
- This Month in Geopolitics: August 2026
- Biggest stock movers Monday: DSX, HIVE, and more (NYSE:ETSY) | Seeking Alpha